A holistic approach to treating addiction means taking into account the whole of an individual seeking treatment. It means understanding every part of a person and teaching therapeutic reality-based techniques for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Crest View, we like to think of it as a WHOLEistic approach to treatment, working toward the recovery of a person’s whole self: mind, body and spirit.
Every single day spent at Crest View is important for our clients. While some days may feel more momentous than others, each is a progressive part of the journey. At Crest View, client progress is built on a foundation of consistency and stability, which is why the structure of our days is so essential for the healing process.
The daily structure of our customized WHOLEistic approach to reality-based treatment
Upon arrival at Crest View, each client meets with a therapist for a comprehensive assessment during which topics of substance abuse, mental health and family relationships are reviewed. Education and work histories are also covered, along with spiritual beliefs and religious affiliations. Based on the information collected during the assessment, the therapist then works closely with the client to develop a holistic addiction treatment plan that’s custom to the needs and goals identified. These plans help to shape the day-to-day activities for each client.
Check out what a typical day in the life looks like for our clients participating in our WHOLEistic treatment.
Morning Schedule: Setting the Day’s Intentions
- Early Rise. Each week day begins early, typically around 7 a.m., to help establish a productive routine for our clients.
- Healthy Breakfast. One of the most important reality-based skills we teach our clients is to nourish themselves with the right foods. Through our nutritional guidance, we educate our clients to understand the nutrients their bodies need through mindful meal preparation.
- Mindfulness Practice. We teach the importance of mindfulness at every moment. Through calming mind and body practices such as yoga or meditation, our clients dedicate a portion of their morning to setting the tone and intention for the day. This helps to generate and maintain purpose throughout the activities that follow.
- Group Session. Whether our clients are in the orientation process or further into their journey, they meet in groups to discuss the current state and perspective of each individual, along with the goals for the day. These group sessions also include nutrition groups that clients attend each week for ongoing education and the establishment of healthy habits.
Afternoon Schedule: Putting in the Work
- Lunch Prepping. Putting into practice the nutritional education that is provided at Crest View, each of our clients participates in the preparation of their own lunch. This provides the opportunity to build on their reality-based foundational knowledge.
- Intensive Therapy Sessions. For the first two weeks after arrival, each client attends a weekly orientation group to further evaluate the best path forward for recovery. As a client’s holistic addiction treatment plan is being customized, a Specialty Group is identified which he or she will then attend on a weekly basis. These groups may focus on areas of recovery such as trauma, grief, or relationship conflicts. The repetition of these group meetings on a daily basis allows our clients to build strong relationships with the peers in their group and therapists, which further manifests accountability and support. Once a week clients will also meet individually with their therapists to privately discuss the progress of the treatment plan in place.
Evening Schedule: Exploring Opportunities and Getting Healthy Rest
- Additional Meetings. Any additional group meetings or therapy sessions that might be included as part of a client’s treatment plan, such as AA, NA and alumni support meetings will typically take place in the late afternoon or evening.
- Free Time Activities. Our clients generally spend the evenings participating in activities of their choosing. They can spend time alone reading, writing, and exercising or in groups doing therapeutic activities like creating meaningful pieces of art or crafts that have specific purpose. What’s important to the team at Crest View is that we’re providing freedom and space for our clients to explore different activities.
- Healthy Bedtime Routine. Promoting a regulated sleep schedule is part of the routine building process, which means a recurring bedtime. Typically for our clients, it’s “lights out” by 10:00 p.m. for a healthy dose of sleep in preparation for a new day.
Weekend Schedule: Enjoying the Progress
- Group Session. Beginning each day with intention setting is just as important on the weekends. Our clients meet in group sessions to set the goals for the day, to create an openness and prepared focus for the activities ahead.
- Attend Outings. Hard work is being done by our patients every day, it’s so important to dedicate time just for having fun. During the weekends activities can include:
- Movie theater visits
- Lunches in the park
- Team building games
- Connect with Peers. During weekend group sessions, clients take the time to talk about the day, process their progress and discuss how they’re feeling about their experiences. Mindfulness of the experiences is always reinforced so there is space for each client to discover new things about themselves.
It’s important for our clients to understand that each plan is unique, including the timeline and longevity of treatment and that every day is important for making progress. Our attention and adherence to the daily structure allows us to treat our clients successfully, but also to teach them at every opportunity, how to realistically incorporate WHOLEistic recovery techniques and self-care habits for the ongoing journey of living healthy and fulfilling lives.
Ready to start a new day at Crest View?
Our experienced and empathetic therapists are ready to support you on your journey to a healthy recovery. Learn more about our holistic addiction treatment by giving us a call today or fill out the form here.