Do you think that you can handle an alcohol addiction all by yourself? Think again. An alcohol detox center may be a good first step, but there’s a lot more work to do after that.
Going at It Alone Leads to Failure
In a recent National Institutes of Health study, researchers followed a group of individuals who stopped drinking. Some of the group quit drinking by themselves without help. Others sought an alcohol addiction treatment program. Those researchers found that individuals who didn’t get help were less likely to make it to the third anniversary of sobriety than those who did.
A secondary finding noticed that those who relapsed lacked self-efficacy. In short, these individuals lacked belief in themselves and their ability to achieve lifelong sobriety. How did this happen? More importantly, when you seek addiction treatment after attending an alcohol detox center, can you develop this important character trait?
Rehab Builds on a Good-Quality Alcohol Detox Center
During the detoxification phase, you deal with alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Because they can include life-threatening seizures and delirium tremens (DTs), it’s never a good idea to quit alone. During a medically supervised detox program, physicians ensure your physiological safety and well-being. They assist you with breaking the body’s dependence on the substance.
However, in order to overcome an alcohol addiction, you need help in the form of psychological treatment, too. Approaches that make a significant difference include:
- Rehab treatment program that allows you to live away from your toxic environment while participating in high-quality clinical care during the day
- Reality therapy that places you into real-world situations to build your self-confidence and remain sober
- Life skills training further develops self-esteem by teaching you the kinds of activities others take for granted in daily life
- Forms of evidence-based addiction therapy that dig deep into the reasons behind your substance abuse
- Trauma treatment that explores unresolved issues from your past that affect your current behaviors, feelings, and thoughts
- Whole-person wellness that incorporates nutrition counseling, recreational therapy, and meditation therapy for mind, body, and spiritual healing
All of these processes combine to break the psychological addiction to alcohol. The goal is to help you redirect negative feeling when stressors tempt you to use again. In this situation, you apply the lessons you learned during rehab. Also, these methods make it possible to anticipate stressful situations and decide ahead of time how to cope.
Don’t Wait with Getting Help
Some people put off rehab until the job calms down. Others come out of detox and figure that they’re fine afterward. Some individuals fear the stigma associated with rehab and hide their addictions. All of these situations may have factored into the less-than-three-year sobriety mark of the study.
You don’t have to become this statistic. If you’re struggling with alcohol and want to get well, caring staff at Crest View Recovery Center in Asheville, North Carolina can help. After attending an alcohol detox center at one of our partner facilities, they’ll give you the tools to teach you how to live a productive life in sobriety